The PPSh-41, " P istolet P ulemyot Sh pagina model of 1941" , ( PPSh -41) was a mass produced submachine gun used by the Red Army during World War 2. Designed to be easier to manufacture and more reliable than the PPD-38/40 that it replaced, it was a great success in spite of its weight. This gun was used with a 71 round drum magazine (matched to the weapon and not necessarily interchangeable with those from other guns), but since 1942 the PPSh-41 was also used with 35 round stick magazines, since the "disk" (as the Soviets preferred to call it) was heavy and hard to load. Nevertheless, the drum magazine remaining the most commonly issued type throughout the war. The PPSh-41 has become completely inseparable from the image of a generic WWII Red Army trooper (quite accurately since entire rifle companies were equipped with them: the fact that two could be produced by sawing a Mosin-Nagant barrel in half certainly helped with this), and thus is found on countless monuments.